This was a tough category, the most difficult of all. I only picked 5 items here because I didn’t want to go overboard. I almost added a black maxi skirt, then thought, “What about a maxi dress?” It started to spiral from there and I decided not to bring it any further. I love a good maxi skirt (and dress), but what about all the other dresses? Even just picking one pair of jeans was difficult, I think I could devote a post just to all the different styles I love.
So I kept it simple, here are my picks:
1. Dark denim. I prefer skinny jeans, but I think it’s more about the wash. Dark blue jeans can be dressed up or down more easily than a lighter wash, they just look more ‘dressed up’ to me. I got this pair of Hudson Jeans in ‘Colin’, I also have them in black I love them so much. I bought them from either Gilt or Hautelook, they always have good deals on ‘designer denim’.
2. Neutral skirt. I chose this blush pink circle skirt with lace detailing over any of my black ones because it’s more wearable to me. It works day or night, casual and dressy. I got it from Forever 21.
3. Black trousers. I actually don’t have reason to wear these often, but I’m thankful I have them, especially if I needed to go on an interview. I used to do the whole black pants with dressy top a lot back in the day, but for a more formal event I just tend to wear dresses now. I also have these in grey, they’re both Mossimo for Target.
4. Shorts. Yup, keeping it broad here because I know denim cut-offs aren’t necessarily everyone’s cup of tea. These were actually wide-legged Seven dojos that somehow ended up with a huge hole right under one of the back pockets. I was pretty bummed because they were one of my favorite pairs of jeans. I ended up taking the scissors to them and they eventually became my favorite pairs of shorts, so worn in I’m not even sure if I can wear them again this summer. I’m hoping for one more year before they fall apart.
5. LBD. Dresses are another category where you could go crazy, so I picked a little black dress and left it at that. I’ve worn this one from Arden B. to three weddings so far and I’m hoping I can keep it going. I like that it’s not just black, the brocade skirt and flower detailing on the bodice make it a little different.
I feel I chose so few items that I’m definitely missing something here! Definitely let me know what you think, I was thinking maybe a pencil skirt, but honestly, I don’t really see myself ever wearing one. I guess this is it, at least for me. Even shorts might be a long shot, it’s another item that might just be a ‘me’ thing like with the plaid shirt.
The next post will be on shoes to complete the series, I was thinking about talking about accessories, like jewelry & handbags, at some point, but not really as ‘staples’. I feel like those categories are more just the fun outfit additions than anything else.
Closet Staples Series: